Sunday, April 19, 2009

yummiest thing ever

Thanks to Alyssa for pointing me toward Vegan Dad's blog, which has an assortment of the most DELICIOUS animal-less foods ever. Today I made his recipe for Vegan Sausages. I must admit I was skeptical because fake meats from the grocery store are decidedly freak-nasty, but these things came out AWESOME. Even Ryan is chowing down on them. I am not going to repost the recipe (linked above) here because it's probably copyrighted or something, but I made it exactly as directed, except I changed the seasoning. Instead of the Italian spices, I substituted

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon crushed caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon freshly ground white-pepper
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

because I was more in the mood for bratwurst. Italian sausage tends to give me acid reflux, if you must know.

Anyway, they were super easy to make and magically delicious, and they both look and taste like meat. They even have a meaty texture, I swear. (That's what she said? *shrug*)

After the directed 40 minutes of steaming, I threw them on the grill (at like 400 degrees, just regular grilling temp) for about 5 minutes, until they had nice crispy grill marks on both sides. Then I completely ruined their veganness by covering them in cheddar cheese, but hey. No dead pigs.

Yummayyyy!

I would post a picture, but I can't find my camera. Hmm.

No comments: